Thursday, December 28, 2006

Thirteen Thursdays #2 (Parenting & Discipline)




Thirteen Things Books on Parenting & Discipline that I Have Read
Last week, after the first day that the kids were home for Christmas vacation, I was a little frustrated with them...not picking up, fighting with each other etc. etc. The normal things that kids do! I went to bed wishing that I had children that always listens to me, picks up after themselves, etc, etc.! But reality sat in and I got to thinking about all of the parenting advice and techniques that I have tried over the past 14 years. Before I became a stay-at-home mom, I was a Parent Educator for Parents as Teachers. I sat in on many conferences about parenting & discipline techniques. Read everything that I could about parenting and discipline from every topic possible. Here is that list!


1. Parenting with Love and Logic (Fay & Cline)

2. There's Gotta Be a Better Way (Becky Bailey)

3. 1-2-3 Magic Effective Discipline for Children 2-12

4. Hw to Talk So Kids will Listen & Listen so Kids will Talk

5. Louise Bates Ames Series...Your One Year Old: The Fun Loving, Fussy Twelve to Twenty-Four Month Old, etc

Of course, I also read books by famous Doctors...

6. Touchpoints: Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development by T. Berry Brazelton

7. Your Baby & Child by Penelope Leach

8. The Baby Book by Dr William Sears

9. Dr. Spock's Books.

10. Boundaries with Kids by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend

11. Raising Your Spirited Child by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

12. The Strong Willed Child by James Dobson

13. Playful Parenting by Denise Champman-Weston

There are more books that I picked up along the way but these are the most memorable! The best advice that I can give parents is that not all children are alike, what worked for one child is not going to work for another child. Everyday is a new day & to enjoy the ride! And Pray that what you teach them in their childhood will stay with them when they need it the most!

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. my 2 cents
2. Sue
3. Amy
4. Norma
5. alyndabear
6. Amy Ruttan
7. Kim Priestap
8. Practical Chick
9. jenny ryan
10. tiggerprr
11. milan-zzz
12. ladybug crossing
13. Cheryl
14. Sparky Duck
15. queenbusick


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


12 comments:

Sue said...

Interesting list. I may have to check some of those books out.

Thanks. Mine's up!

Unknown said...

That's a great idea for a TT. I have several of Dr. Dobson's books including Bringing up Boys and Dare to Discipline. They're both very good.

Norma said...

I don't remember all the titles I read, but I do remember the Dobson one. They've all gone to book sales now. I've totally reversed what I believed when they were little now that I see the results. Now I know they could've been raised by the neighbors and everything would be the same--so just enjoy them.

Alyndabear said...

They look interesting - no kids for me yet, but when the time comes it sounds like I'll be well informed.

(Psst: Loving the Fray video on your blog - fantastic!)

Amy Ruttan said...

The Strong Willed child is my 3 year old daughter, who will learn new things when she wants to.

Any books for little boys who are totally laid back, happy and extremely curious (my son)? ;)

-atomik kitten said...

Hiiii.... Thanks for stopping by my TT!

I think the best book I read was about eight years ago (right about the time DS1 was born) called How to Behave So Your Kids Will Too!

Sparky Duck said...

I dont know most of the books, nor will I be running out to get them right away, ya know, no kids and all, but anyone the puts the Fray up on there blog gets a gold star from me! :)

Cheryl L. Stansberry said...

Your #1 is first on my list as well! Have you also read Grace Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel?

tiggerprr said...

I owned the Strong-Willed Child one. She wasn't at the time I got it, so I didn't keep it. Now that she's 17, I kind of wish I had it back. LOL I wonder though, if the last sentence in the book says, "If he/she doesn't respond to any of the other techniques listed in this book, just whap him/her with it." ;)

Milan-zzz said...

Too early for this kind of literature … and I think I’m happy because of that :)

Cheers from Serbia! My TT #2 is up

Ladybug Crossing said...

I think I've probably read all of those at one time... LOL!!

Thanks for dropping by my TT.
DDR is Dance Dance Revolution... it's really really fun!! I'm totally pooped out from challenging the kids - yes, they beat me every time... But it's still fun!

LBC

Unknown said...

That's so true about what works for one doesn't work for the other..sometimes I get exhausted switching from talking to one kid this way..to the other kid that way...I am amazed you can do it with 4!!!

I am enjoying getting to know your boys a little bit more..makes me excited for when my boys get big! You do have an awesome group of kiddos!!